Don’t let the name of this recipe fool you, these breakfast muffins are delicious for all ages. I call them toddler muffins, because my kiddos love them and it’s an easy way for me to get more veggies is my picky eater’s tummy. They’re very easy to make. I like to serve them with a glass of milk and a few fruit slices. It’s a great way to have a peaceful, healthy start to the day.
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t sea salt
1 t lemon or orange zest
1/2 c sugar (I prefer turbinado, Sugar in the Raw)
1/2 c applesauce
1/4 c coconut oil
1/2 c grated carrots
1/2 c grated zucchini
1/2 c raisins
oatmeal for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices in a bowl. Whisk gently to combine.
2. In another bowl, combine applesauce, zest, sugar, coconut oil and egg. Use an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add grated veggies. Mix to combine.
3. Take a spoonful of flour mixture and lightly toss it with the raisins. This prevents the raisins from sinking. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet mixture, mixing until just combined. Add the raisins and stir to distribute evenly.
4. Either fill a muffin tin with papers, or lightly grease the tin. Fill each muffin 3/4 full. Sprinkle each muffin with oatmeal.
5. Bake 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out dry. Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!