Here’s a family favorite that is great for making take-out at home, stretching your budget or entertaining. I created this recipe to use up the extra won ton wrappers I had on hand from making my Sweet Potato Won Tons. It is amazing how far the filling stretches, so nobody would guess you’re actually going easy on your wallet. Steaming is a super healthy way to cook, and you won’t feel at all deprived with this meal. Don’t be intimidated by shaping the wrappers. It’s easy and with a bit of practice, it’s quick too. Enjoy!
Place mixture in the middle of the wonton wrapper. Brush sides with water.
Grab two diagonal corners to make a triangle and press together.
Bring the remaining two corners up to the center point and press all the sides together sealing the dumplings.
Place dumplings in steamer with lid. Cook for 3-5 minutes. They will turn pinkish as the shrimp is cooked. Serve hot with dipping sauce. Enjoy.
- 10 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 1 leek, white and light green portion, diced
- ⅓ c diced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 T minced ginger
- 1 big clove of garlic, minced
- 1 t tamari or soy sauce
- ½ t lime zest
- 1 t fresh lime juice
- 20 won ton wrappers
- 1 lightly beaten egg + 1 T water for egg wash
- ⅓ all fruit apricot jam
- 1 T tamari or soy sauce
- 1 t rice wine vinegar
- 1 T water
- ½ t ginger paste (grated from a microplane)
- 1 T scallions
- Place all ingredients, except for wrappers and egg wash into a food processor. Pulse several times until mixture becomes a paste.
- Heat a pot with an inch or two of water with your steamer. I use one with my big pot or my trusty bamboo steamer. Make egg wash.
- Place half of your won tons out in little rows. You will be working in an assembly fashion to make the dumplings. Place about a teaspoon of filling in the center of each wrapper. Use a pastry brush to paint the egg wash on the wrappers.
- Grab two diagonal corners to make a triangle and press together.
- Bring the remaining two corners up to the center point and press all the sides together sealing the dumplings.
- Repeat until all dumplings are done.
- Place dumplings in steamer with lid. Cook for 3-5 minutes. They will turn pinkish as the shrimp is cooked. Serve hot with dipping sauce.
- Mix everything but scallions together in a small bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well to combine. Add scallions and dip away!