This is a spectacular simple dish. If you love asparagus, you must try it. It’s one of those magical dishes that work any time of the day. For brunch, serve it with a mixed berry salad and pastries. For dinner add a salad and either rice or a hearty whole wheat bread. Bon Appetite!
Serves 4, but can easily be adjusted for many more
1 clove garlic
1 c asparagus, ends trimmed, chopped diagonally into small pieces
8 eggs at room temperature (soak them in warm water for 5 min or leave out for 2 hours)
1 t lemon zest
1 T each: fresh mint, thyme and basil
1/4 c parmesan cheese
1/2 c grated sharp white cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs vigorously, incorporating as much air as possible.
3. Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in an oven-proof skillet over a medium flame. Add garlic. After about 30 seconds, add asparagus and some sea salt and pepper.
4. When asparagus has cooked for about 1-2 minutes, add the zest, herbs, sea salt and pepper to the eggs and give it one last whisk before you pour it into the pan.
5. Sprinkle with cheeses. Once bottom has set a bit (This happens very quickly.), put the pan in the oven.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes without peeking. When frittata is puffed and golden on top, your feast is ready. Serve warm or at room temperature.