Here’s a lovely summer supper, perfect for easy outdoor entertaining. Of course it’s only summer in the tropics and Southern hemisphere right now, but the rest of the world can bookmark this recipe for later or buy some hot-house tomatoes and dream of the months ahead.
This delectable recipe serves four. Pair it with a nice green salad and a light red wine like a Beaujolais.
Roasted Tomatoes and Shrimp on Grilled Bread
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 20-25 medium shrimp
- 3 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- ¼ t crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- zest and juice of ¼ of a lemon
- about ¼ c fresh basil, roughly chopped
- good quality bread
- Pecorino Romano cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325. Smash one clove of garlic and remove its peel. Place the smashed garlic and tomatoes in a small baking dish. Drizzle generously with olive oil and season with sea salt and black pepper. Toss to gently coat everything. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until tomato skins burst.
- In the meantime, place shrimp in a small bowl. Roughly chop a garlic clove. Add the garlic and lemon zest to the shrimp. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Season with sea salt and black pepper (or optional red pepper). Chill while tomatoes cook. Once tomatoes have burst, squeeze a little lemon juice on shrimp and add it to the baking dish. Stir and bake for about 5 minutes, until the shrimp turn pink and start to curl. Just before serving add the basil.
- In the meantime, brush slices of bread with olive oil. Grill, broil or toast bread. Cut the remaining garlic clove in half. Once bread has toasted, rub it with the cut side of the garlic. To serve, heap the shrimp and tomatoes on top of the bread. Shave cheese on top. Enjoy!